Photo of jesterpm


My name is Jesse Morgan. I am a Software Engineer at I also backpack, sail, ski, and play with radios in the woods.

PGP Key: C663 9070 0831 1F3C

So it begins (at 08:30)

I know I'm a bit late on the bread making craze, but now that there's flour in the stores again I'm starting a sour dough starter.

Map of run

Dinner tonight: potato soup and fresh bread

Map of run
Map of tracks

I skipped running last week while the smoke was here. I think I might have, maybe, missed it.

I can see again!

Mechanic took a look at the outboard. Much to both our surprise, there was no trace of gear lube in the lower unit (and I'd believe it from the noises it was making). However, there was also no signs of water intrusion. We're both baffled. Parts alone would be $1500. Time to look for a new motor...

Friday Saturday Sunday

The progression of the smoke from Friday through Sunday (at ~14:00 each day). Visibility is less than a half mile given the landmarks I can't see anymore.

I'm trying to extract data from various silos in preparation for posting them here. This morning I looking for ways to download my run history from MapMyRun. MapMyRun has a feature to get a CSV of all workout summaries ( and it has a feature to download a TCX file for a single workout with GPS points, etc. However, there is no option to download everything all together.

The CSV has a link to the workout page for each workout, which includes the workout ID. The TCX download URL also takes a workout ID. If we put these together we can download everything in one go:

  1. Sign into MapMyRun, open the developer console, go to the network tab and reload the page.
  2. Right-click the page load request and Copy -> Copy as cURL. Stick this in a file called and replace the URL with $1. This gives us all the cookies we need to load the page.
  3. Run the script below to get a TCX file for each workout.

for ID in $(./|cut -d, -f17|tr -d "\r"|cut -d/ -f5); do
    echo $ID
    ./$ID/tcx > ${ID}.tcx

It was a short, but foggy, trip back to Seattle

It was a short, but foggy, trip back to Seattle

07:00 - I called Aurora Rents and confirmed they had a motor available. April, Anders, and I headed up to Shoreline to pick it up and then to Edmonds. Daniel and I swapped out the motor, made sure the Honda would start, go into gear, etc., and then set off. As we floated away from the dock, the engine stalled. Repeatedly (oh no, not again). Eventually, I got it to stay running as we drifted past the breakwater. We circled for a few minutes longer for good measure before continuing south.

It was quite foggy when we left, although it was supposed to burn off by 11:00. We were just talking about estimating visibility in the fog when I looked behind me and could see clear back to Edmonds. The rest of the fog disappeared by the time we reached Shilshole.

There were a number of boats waiting at the locks as we approached. I expected we'd need to wait another cycle, but we managed to squeeze in at the end.

We made it back to Fremont, cleaned up the boat, and returned the motor. As we headed across the Ship Canal Bridge, it looked like perfect sailing weather on Lake Union.

Sorry 😔   the spinnaker!

(April, responding to my text about the motor issues)

After going about 6 miles, as we entered the Puget Sound proper, the grinding noise came back. The wind was starting to pick up, so we shut off the motor and put up the sails. However, the tide was still on its way out and the current was slowly dragging us back north.

We hadn't made much use of the Spinnaker before. In the two years that I've owned the boat, I think we've pulled it out twice. It took a minute to remember how to trim it, but once we did we finally started to make forward progress.

We sailed one tack until a bit south of Pilot Point then gybed and continued to Edmonds. As the wind picked up and the tide turned, we started to pick up speed. I think we were averaging 5-6 kt, speed over ground.

The wind started to die down as we passed the Port of Edmonds. We might have made it back to Shilshole, but it seemed like tempting fate to just continue past the marina conveniently in front of us. We decided to take a closer look at the motor and then decide if we'll continue or stop in Edmonds.

The grinding noise was back immediately. I wanted try moving the gear linkage adjustment back, so we inflated the dingy and I jumped back and forth from the boat to the dingy, trying different adjustments, while Daniel tried to work us back upwind towards the marina entrance.

Thanks Daniel...

As we made our final tack to put us into the marina, the motor was once again going into forward gear, albeit with unpleasant noises. We were still 10 minutes out, so we shut the motor off until we reached the entrance.

As we approached the entrance, we doused the mainsail but kept the genoa. If we needed to sail into the marina, I felt more comfortable handling just the headsail. I started the engine and put it into gear... nothing.

We continued in under sail, searching out an empty spot in the guest moorage area. We found one spot left, but couldn't get the boat around and upwind (I think I should have doused the headsail sooner). We bailed and tied up to the haul-out dock instead (the first spot turned out to be the pump-out station, so we couldn't have stayed there anyway). A powerboat was leaving from the guest dock and offered to tow us over into their place (thanks Jesse!).

As we waited for April to come meet us, Daniel and I started going through our options. Staying in guest moorage at the Port of Edmonds was $40/night. Towing back to Fremont would be ~$1300 (at that point, I might as well just buy a new motor...). Eventually, Daniel discovered Aurora Rents apparently rents an 8 HP Honda Outboard for $80/day. Perfect! April arrived, we all got dinner, and I headed home with April so we could pickup a motor in the morning.

See more posts